I scream, you scream, we all scream for zmrzlina

Hokey title, I know, but there's something about cold, artificially flavoured and coloured ice cream in the summer.  The sun comes out and beckons you outside.  You obey.  You bask in the golden rays for a few moments.  Seconds pass, and you think, "Drat, that sun got me out here and now I'm hot!"

Well, if you're in the Czech Republic, the remedy is just around the corner.  You can't spit without hitting an ice cream stand (or a bakery).  Typically the ice cream comes in two forms--soft serve or gelato-esque by the scoop.  Moreover, with a small cone averaging a price of 10-15 Czech Crowns ($0.50-0.75), it's hard to resist.  Ice cream stands and windows open around 10 AM, quickly advertising the new flavours of the day.  Who wouldn't like to try apple-vanilla twist?

More than the economic deliciousness, the ice cream stands create a relaxed atmosphere.  All around, paces are slackened so the walker can fully enjoy their pistacio-flavoured gelato.  Parents willingly accompany their children to the stands and also order one for themselves.  It's never to early and you're never to old for ice cream.  Young mothers in bedazzled heels enjoy their cones perhaps more than the toddlers who streams behind.  Men in suits wait in line with classy-looking grandmothers. 

Today I left the office to go for a walk (it was that sun again) and also announced my plans to get some ice cream.  But, considering that I knew I was going for coffee and cake a little later, it seemed a bit ridiculous.  So I took my walk and tried to ignore the large advertisements for ice cream, or the multi-generational physical advertising on every block.  As I turned back to head to the office again, I saw two middle-aged women with something like strawberry-vanilla twist cones.  One was pushing a stroller with (I believe) an ice-cream-less child.  I continued on, intrepid, crossing the street prematurely to avoid the ice cream window.  As I glanced over to the window, I saw a large truck with the Ostrava public transit logo.  It was parked illegally alongside the road, blocking my view of that icy beacon.  Inside the truck, two full-grown, burly men idled with their vehicle, accompanied by two tiny cones.

Comments

Popular Posts