Pre-Thanksgiving Season


The test of a man's religious life and character is not what he does in the exceptional moments of life, but what he does in the ordinary times, when there is nothing tremendous or exciting on. The worth of a man is revealed in his attitude toward ordinary things when he is not before the footlights... 
-Oswald Chambers

These words struck me earlier this week, and I feel its words cut me moreso  now.  It's mid-October, which means my work rhythm is set to "in-school" mode and my personal life must adjust.  With the buzz of the beginning of the school year worn off, extra care, diligence, and gusto is needed to maintain the intentionality of each day in and out of school.  As I found myself cringing at my own attitude and approaches to situations today, I found myself repulsed by the bits of self-interest, entitlement, and lack of constraint shown.  Grace had somewhere been cast aside.

This weekend I'd thought of starting a thanksgiving tree in honour of the pre-Thanksgiving season--actually, more than that, in recognition that thankfulness is a powerful tool in our daily lives.  (I heard recently that they had soldiers deployed writing three things they were thankful for each night before bed, and the exercise helped offset PTSD.)  Yet somehow, that idea slipped down in my priorities.  But perhaps it should have taken the spotlight for I know that an attitude adjustment is needed.

Tonight I read this short blog from a college acquaintance, and it echoed my state of mind, and I'd recommend it to you.  I have been relinquishing the focus of my thoughts to easily.  At the beginning of the school year I consciously decided to choose to joy in my work and planning in order to pass on that joy to my students.  I think that choice needs to be renewed.  I want to again choose joy, thankfulness, and selflessness.  I want to choose kindness.


Comments

Popular Posts