Reading 2017: Embarrassing reads

I interrupt my reports of good books to share some that I'm almost ashamed to have read.  It's not that they're inherently bad books (maybe), but rather that I am a bit embarrassed to have given them the valuable time of reading them.  These were mainly books that were highly plot-driven, and as such were entertaining at the time, but didn't leave much of an impression behind.

In February I read The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett.  I heard about it through the What Should I Read Next podcast.  It was recommended for a very different kind of reader, yet I found Anne's recommendation so compelling that I read it--knowing that it wasn't the kind of book that I would be satisfied with!  (Note, there will be spoilers.)  I knew this wasn’t going to be a change-my-life kind of book but didn't expect the annoyance it drove me to.  The premise is that the book follows three alternate ways that two characters’ (Jim and Sarah) lives could have gone based on a single incident.  I read a book that followed a similar premise (with only two versions) and though this one perhaps had better writing, I think the other book’s storyline was in some ways more compelling.  The reason I say that is because (as I've stated) I have problems with this book.  Firstly, I disagree with the premise that people are fated to be together.  (There is such a magnetism between Jim and Sarah that they are together somehow in each version.)  Because of this, I think the storyline is limited. Secondly, I don’t like that there is infidelity in each version of the story.  Period.  Thirdly, I have a logical issue because in one of the versions she finds out she’s pregnant; however, the child would have been conceived before the incident so I think it’s illogical that she is pregnant in only one of the versions.  I think if she’s going to be pregnant she should either be pregnant in all of the versions OR she should get pregnant after the incident--or did I misread it and she did conceive after the incident? You'll have to fact check me, or rather, don't, and just skip this book altogether.

In March, I also couldn't help resisting a recommendation (for again, a very different kind of reader!) on the What Should I Read Next podcast.  I found this book more satisfying than The Versions of Us, and chalk it up as an entertaining read with some historical merit.  The Wife, the Made, and the Mistress by Ariel Lawhon is a fictionalized explanation of a real-life missing persons case that occurred in 1930s New York. The missing person is New York Supreme Court Judge Joseph Crater. The book bounces back and forth in the sequence of events, parcelling out the story. The story is told through three characters: Crater’s wife, maid, and mistress. The author used historical details to inform the book and I appreciate at the end that she delineates which characters are real and which are fictional and to what degree. I found her version of the possible explanation to be logical, and though she gave some foreshadowing, I was happy to be surprised during the scene that really lifted the curtain. As an entertaining read, it was enjoyable. Not life changing, but interesting historically-based fiction. I’d give it a 3.5/5 stars.

In December I read  Comfort and Joy by Kristin Hannah.  When it came up in my daily deals on Kindle, my love of Christmas overcame me, and I bought it (with one click!). This was my first Kristin Hannah book. Having heard a lot of positive things about The Nightingale (which I bought on a kindle deal but haven’t yet read), I was willing to give her a try.  While reading it in the kitchen, I told my husband “this isn’t a very good book.”  There was a lot of drama (betrayal, a big accident) as well as a seemingly predictable love story.  However, there was a twist that I did not expect.  It made me eager to read to see how the it resolved.  Enjoyable like a chick flick is enjoyable, but it's no Gift of the Magi or A Christmas Carol (though these are unfair comparisons).  It was published in 2005, so I firmly believe that The Nightingale's positive reports are well-founded, and I still intend to read it.

I don't want you to be turned off by the What Should I Read Next podcast, because when I was a guest this summer, I found all the recommendations Anne Bogel gave me to be spot on.  My problem is that I kept on reading books she recommended very different kinds of readers.  On one podcast she mentioned Marisa de los Santos.  I started with Love Walked In, which though including a love story (or multiple) but is not the complete cheese-fest you would expect with such a novel.  It also explores relationships between parents/mentors and children and among childhood friends.  I did like the protagonist Cornelia enough to read the sequel Belong to Me and then another book of hers The Precious One.  Yet reading three of her books in a row was too much for me, and I wanted something deeper and with a different writing style.  I wouldn't write her off completely.  I saw that one of my sister's has Love Walked In on her bookshelf, and I think that she'd like it.  (Well, that sister would like it; I don't think all my sisters would like it.)

So far I have mentioned books that I wouldn't say are outright bad, but the next one is.  It has some plot-driven parts that could keep a reader (especially a younger reader, since this is YA) going, but it is just too much in many areas.  The book is Everblue by Brenda Pandos.  I read this book on Kindle, and I have no idea when and why I downloaded it.  It’s YA, Christian, fantasy romance?  It tries too hard.  I found some of the world-building interesting; for example the *spoiler* mermaid world and the rules of mermaid-human relations, etc. were well-thought out and coherent.  However, it became very sappy and gratuitous in the love story.  There can be happy couples represented in a way that doesn’t make the reader roll their eyes.  (I’m sure I would have eaten up that part as a junior higher or high schooler, but as an adult, it is very clearly overkill.)  Also the element of “Christian” fiction here seems a bit strange considering the presence of a) mermaids and b) the overly mushy-gushy scenes.  It was a light read and good on a tired mind or hot day, but I don’t expect to continue with the series or author.

So there you have it, my confession of not-so-great books read in 2017.  Though there were other books that didn't quite land with me, I'm not ashamed to have read them, so maybe you'll see those in another upcoming bookerly post.

Comments

Popular Posts