Picture Book Advent Calendar and Sewing Tutorial

When I saw my sister's picture book Advent "calendar" for her girls years ago, I instantly knew I wanted to do that for my own kids someday. I slowly began picking up Christmas books, and this summer I began sewing.  (I finished sewing in November, so I'm glad I got an early start.) In case anyone else is interested in taking on a similar endeavor, I wanted to take a moment to share about how I sewed the bags and about some favorite titles.





First, the books . . . 
Not every book in my current collection is a keeper.  There were books picked up in the impulse of the adrenalin that is library book sales.  There are also books that my children will grow out of, such as counting books. But here are a few books that I think we will be enjoying for many years to come:

Snowflake Bentley was featured by Read Aloud Revival in their Family Book Club last year, and I was delighted when my mom bought a copy for our family.  This book follows the fascinating real life experience of Wilson Bentley, the first photographer of snowflakes.  This story won the Caldecott in 1999.

Zima (Winter) by Rotraut Susanne Berner This wordless book has detailed illustrations with repeating characters on each page.

The Christmas Promise looks at Christmas in a theologically holistic way and speaks of Jesus as the  anticipated King.   This is part of the series Tales that Tell the Truth, and I appreciate how the series frames each Biblical story in a way to help children see how the story fits in with the entire salvation story of the Bible.

Svaty Mikulas by Anselm Grun
St. Nicolas (Sv. Mikulas) Day is celebrated widely in the Czech Republic, with people dressed as St. Nicolas, a devil, and an angel traveling around towns and schools in their trio, frightening children into promising good behavior and distributing candies, clementines, or gingerbread--or coal.  But what I was looking for when I bought this book was an account of Nicolas the man, so that my children could know the deeper meaning of the holiday.  This book tells just some of the good deeds and miracles connected to St. Nicolas. For instance, Nicolas gave gold to a family that was considering selling their daughters into slavery (because they didn't have money for dowries). Another story recounts a vision of Nicolas in the midst of a storm at sea, and another the miraculous distribution of grain during a severe famine.


Zpivejte s nami: Nejkrasnejsi Vanocni Koledy (translation: Sing with Us: the most beautiful Christmas carols) was recommended to me last year by our neighbor.  This book is more about the CD inside than the book.  The concept of the book was to professionally record the classic Czech Christmas songs in a way that was musically tasteful (i.e. not annoying to parents) and was done so by the choir Knuhuv Sbor.  Each page includes a simple collage illustration along with the lyrics of the song.

Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats is a beautifully-illustrated story of a boy's adventure outside after a big snow fall.

Dream Snow by Eric Carle is the closest I get to a "Santa" story in my chosen books (in reality, the farmer just looks a bit like Santa when he bundles up in his coat).  With Carle's signature colorful illustrations, a simple story unfolds of snowfall and the farmer nearly forgetting to set out his presents and decorations.  This is also a lift-the-flap book.

Song of the Stars by Sally Lloyd Jones uses beautiful language to express how all of creation anticipated the coming of Christ.  Once again, Sally Lloyd Jones does not disappoint.

The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola recounts the Mexican legend of the Poinsettia.  This book follows Lucida in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  Her mother falls ill, so their plans of weaving a new blanket for the Christ child are interrupted.  The humble gift that Lucida brings instead becomes a Christmas miracle.

Also in the collection are some Christmas song lyrics printed along illustrations (for example "Away in the Manger," "The Little Drummer Boy," and "The Twelve Days of Christmas").  I'm eager for my own kids to learn some English Christmas classics this way.

Now, the Sewing . . . 
When I set about to sew these sleeves, I knew I wanted them to be lined and to have a closure.  I first followed a tutorial I found for a buttoned pouch shaped like an envelope.  Despite troubleshooting, I continued to get bunching around the opening.  Finally, I decided to make simple rectangular pouches with a velcro closure.

Materials:
I used about 5 meters total of woven fabric.  Your needs will vary depending on the sizes of your books. I also used matching thread and 2 cm width Velcro.

Instructions:
After measuring the book height, width, and thickness, I used the following formula (in centimeters) to cut the fabric.  Note that this is dependent upon measuring your books in centimeters and using 2 cm width Velcro.

(height of fabric to be cut) = book height in cm + thickness x 2 + 6.5 cm
B (width of fabric to be cut) = (book width + thickness x 2 + 2 cm) x 2

After cutting two such rectangles (an exterior fabric and lining, both simple quilting cotton),

1) With right sides together, sew the top seam of the rectangles
2) Open, then fold in half the opposite way 
3) Sew up the side
3) Invert so the right sides are out and tuck the lining inside. 
4) Sew the bottom using French seams (1/4 inch seam allowance on the right side, then trim, invert the bag, and sew with a 3/8 seam allowance on the lining side).  if you're unfamiliar with French seams, there are tutorials aplenty. Just ask Mr. Google.
5) Attach the velcro by top stitching

*I noted in my notebook to use a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  However, my calculations were for a 3/8 inch or 1 cm seam allowance.  There should be enough give for either to work.


Comments

Popular Posts